A monthly event – after our Wednesday Wee Weekly Worship – focusing on pressing, topical or intriguing issues concerning faith, politics, society and culture.
In the original Greek myth, when Pandora opened her box (or jar), death and many other ‘evils’ escaped into the world. All that was left in it was … hope.
We trust that our Pandora’s Box helps encourage such hopeful things as increased insight and understanding and, at the very least, an opportunity to listen and talk about what’s happening today.
Monthly, on the second Wednesdays @ 7.15-8.45pm
- Wednesday 11th October: ‘Catalonia calling’ … a selection of short films looking at the historical and contemporary context, with discussion.
- Wednesday 8th November: ’95 Theses For Technological Times’ … 500th years ago Luther used the emerging hi-technology to distribute his critique of idolatrous power in the Church; today it’s technology that is the new church. Tonight we look at John Naughton’s contemporary critique on the Tech Temple’s door. 95 Theses website
- Wednesday 13th December: ‘The Shock Doctrine’ … a film & discussion about ‘Disaster Capitalism’, the term described in the work of Naomi Klein as an explanation of many events and shifts in contemporary politics and world affairs. Naomi Klein/ Shock Doctrine site
- Wednesday 10th January: ‘Meeting the Magi’, with Kelvin Holdsworth, Provost of St Marys Episcopal Cathedral in Glasgow, and Madinah Javed who will be in conversation about their Christian and Muslim experiences of Epiphany – which of course, Epiphany, is the celebration of a visit 2000 years ago to a poor Jewish child and his family by wise foreigners (of undefined, religious backgrounds) bearing gifts.
- Wednesday 14th February: As this is Ash Wednesday, there will be no Pandora’s Box on this date.
- Wednesday 14th March: details to follow.
- Wednesday 11th April: details to follow.
- Wednesday 9th May: details to follow.
See the weeWONDERBOX 2017-18 listings page for more information about these.
Cost: Free (though donations welcomed)
Time: 7.00 – 9.00pm
Venue: 21 Carlton Court, Glasgow, Scotland G5 9JP, Scotland.
Access to the event space is via one step. Inside there is a low-stepped ramp. We are happy to provide assistance.
To receive updates of weeWONDERBOX events, sign up to the WGRG/ weeWONDERBOX eNews here.
weeWONDERBOX is a programme of events organised by the Iona Community’s Programme team and the Wild Goose Resource Group.
0141 429 7281