THE TRUTH THAT SETS US FREE (CD)
Out of stock
Wild Goose Collective
Biblical songs for worship
The Truth That Sets Us Free is the newest collection of longer songs from John L. Bell & the Wild Goose Resource Group, and recorded by the Wild Goose Collective.
Provocative but biblical, singable but not simplistic, eclectic but full of integrity…
– songs which shun dated, churchy language and instead embrace contemporary speech;
– songs which prove that the southern hemisphere has more to offer than ‘Kumbaya’;
– songs which take the world seriously, because God takes it seriously;
– songs which allow worship to be more than predictable praise;
– songs which challenge the dominance of a performance mentality…
It is the first such collection for almost a decade. As with previous albums, these are not songs written for an instant market, but songs that have done the rounds, been road-tested at home and abroad, and have proved their worth.
Coming from places as far apart as Singapore, Mozambique and Glasgow, the only common thread is in the title. The ‘truth that sets us free’ – a quotation from St. John’s Gospel is recognised in songs about healing, racism, winter and holy communion as well as in settings of psalms and other biblical texts.
Among rarities, is a tune written by an imprisoned queen set to a text which mirrors the sentiment of her original words. There is a song which sees the miracle of the feeding of the 5000 as an incentive to social justice in a world where many people still live on less than a dollar a day. There are texts which use un-hymnlike words such as ‘economics’ and ’ campaigners’ a four-bar chant from South Africa which people never tire of, and a stunning gathering song from India which has delighted people in at least three of the four continents.
The music for these songs is published in a book of the same name by John L. Bell.
58:22 running time
- Come With Me/Hamba Nathi (South Africa)
- Light For Our Darkness
- I Cried Aloud To God – Psalm 77 ( Hawai’i/ Scotland)
- So Much Wrong (Palestine/ France)
- Save Me, O God – Psalm 69
- Let My People Go (African American)
- Alleluia (Greenbelt 10)
- We Worship Christ/Nzamuranza (Mozambique)
- The Truth That Sets Us Free
- Come And Find Rest In Christ (Singapore)
- Peace I Leave
- Fellow Travellers
- Malembe (Democratic Republic of Congo)
- We Shall Break Bread
- How Could A Crowd?
- Jikelele (South Africa)
- Soft Falls The Snow
- Blessing And Honour (2012)
- I Love The Lord – Psalm 116
- Jeye Ho (India/ Scotland)
- Alleluia, Praise The Lord/Aleluya Y’in Oluwa (Nigeria)