- This event has passed.
Living With The Bible
August 28, 2019 - August 29, 2019
A two day international conversation on how to make friends with Holy Scripture, enabled by the Wild Goose Resource Group
The Bible …
… open or closed?
… public or private?
… experience or theory?
… dynamic or dead?
Many lay people feel inadequate when speaking about the Bible. And quite a few ministers and priests find reflecting on scripture with others much more difficult than solo preaching.
Yet the Bible contains the public truth of God, intended to be shared, discussed and argued over, as well as being a treasure house of spiritual wisdom and blessing.
For over thirty years members of the Wild Goose Resource Group have engaged with people throughout the world on bringing the Bible to life, in constituencies ranging from churches in areas of multiple deprivation to ivy league theological colleges and groups of those who question and struggle to believe.
This is the second conference specifically involving participants from the Lutheran Church in Denmark for whom 2020 will be the Year of the Bible.
Over two days we will look at how we engage with the Bible as a shared, communal experience rather than puzzle over its texts privately.
You are warmly invited to be part of this unique event. Full programme & timings below.
The Conference will be led by John Bell, Jo Love and Graham Maule of the Wild Goose Resource Group; in consultation with Tine Illum and Søren Andresen, liturgical workers and activists from the Danish Lutheran Church.
Living With The Bible will be held in The Ground, the event space of the Iona Community House at 21 Carlton Court, Glasgow G5 9JP (a 5 minute walk from Central Station; and a 2 minute walk from Bridge Street Underground).
Participants can come for one or both days. Lunch will be provided on both.
Wednesday 28th August
09.00 Arrivals, Welcome and Introduction
09.15 Opening Worship
09.30 Personal Testimonies … ‘The Bible and I’.
10.00 Better Seen Or Heard? … exploring the consequences of the Reformation.
11.30 Reading With Respect … or why our hearts are not ‘strangely warmed’ by Leviticus and Numbers.
13.00 Lunch (provided)
14.00 Opening the Book … a range of creative ways in which to deal with scripture.
16.30 God and Her Girls … a liturgy based on biblical passages.
17.30 Break (for dinner – not provided)
19.30 A Little Night Music For Pilgrims … an evening concert by Janne Mark. Janne is a fascinating artist who has embarked upon a path between hymns, songwriting, folk and jazz, and has done so with great success. In doing so, she has found a unique way to reinvent the Danish hymn-writing tradition. More info
Thursday 29th August
09.15 Morning Worship
- (a) In My Holy Book Are Many Media … if we re-articulate Scripture in word and text alone, we diminish its power and its truth. Some hows and whys on some of the ways that images, sounds, spacial and visual forms, patterns and sequences are just as crucial.
- (b) Making Friends With The Miracles … new perspectives on old texts.
11.30 Sampling The Options … different models of imaginatively sharing the Bible with people who feel inadequate in speaking about it.
13.00 Lunch (provided)
14.00 Singing The Scripture … An introduction to songs which enable Biblical passages to be celebrated in song … including the wide range of emotions we find in the Psalms.
Booking & Tickets
Registration is required for daytime attendance on Wednesday or Thursday or for the full Conference (both days) to allow us to organise lunch provision. Note that an evening meal is not included. To book/ reserve a place, follow the links below or contact WGRG/ Wild Goose Resource Group by email, [email protected] or phone, 0141 429 7281.
- Full Conference – Standard (two days, including lunch): £90.00 Buy Ticket
- Full Conference – Concession* (two days, including lunch): £60.00 Buy Ticket
- Wednesday 28th only – Standard (single day, including lunch): £45.00 Buy Ticket
- Wednesday 28th only – Concession* (single day, including lunch): £30.00 Buy Ticket
- Thursday 29th only – Standard (single day, including lunch): £45.00 Buy Ticket
- Thursday 29th only – Concession* (single day, including lunch): £30.00 Buy Ticket
* Concessions apply to folk who are un-waged/ on reduced income/ students/ young adults/ senior citizens.
This Conference is part of the 2019-20 weeWONDERBOX programme.