- This event has passed.
Hadeel Pop-Up Shop – Advent
December 15, 2018 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
The occasional Palestinian food and handcraft outlet in Glasgow
The Advent edition of our new regular opportunity to buy food and crafts in support of fair trade, justice and Palestinian farmers and craftworkers.
Find unique Christmas gifts and show practical solidarity with an oppressed people.
Hadeel is a Fair Trade shop in Edinburgh which has been offering this possibility for many years to the good folk of the (Scottish) Far East.
Now since November, weeWONDERBOX and Hadeel are collaborating to offer an outlet in Glasgow, both in occasional pop-up shop form and also through the possibility of pick-ups of pre-ordered products at the Iona Community’s Glasgow base.
Today’s event will feature the pop-up shop, with plenty of time to browse, plus a short video which will play continuously offering up-to-date news on the situation in Israel-Palestine that affects the people and producers … and of course, refreshments.
Food & Household
We will have the following available:
• Conventional Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 250ml and 500ml
• Organic & Fairtrade Certified Olive Oil – 250ml, 500ml and 1L
• Za’atar – 20g sachet and 80g jar
• Medjoul Dates – 250g and 500g boxes
• Fairtrade Almonds – Raw, 150g bag, Chilli, 140g box and Caramelised 140g box
• Freekeh (Smoky Green Wheat) – 250g box
• Organic Maftoul (Giant Couscous) – 250g box
• Olive Oil Soap (Various scents) – 60g bar
On display on the day, we’ll also have a selection drawn from Hadeel’s stock (to see the full range held in Edinburgh, click on the category links below).
Ordering & Pick-up
You can pre-order food or craft items for pick-up at the Pop-Up Shop on the 15th December; or at a another time from the Iona Community Base in Carlton Court.
We hold a stock of the foods (see list above) at Carlton Court.
Crafts are held at Hadeel’s shop in Edinburgh and brought through for each Pop-Up Shop. You can browse crafts by visiting the links above (or via the Hadeel homepage) and if you wish a particular item(s), in a particular size, design or colour, you can pre-order this by contacting us at [email protected] or 0141 429 7281.
Thus, we can arrange for it to be brought through to Glasgow. It will then be available for pick-up at the Pop-Up Shop; or we can arrange a suitable pick-up time at the Iona Community Base on another day. Products can be paid for at the time of pick-up.
- Hadeel is a Fair Trade shop which aims to provide a sustainable income and support for Palestinian artisans, farmers and others working in Fair Trade organisations and social enterprises.
- Palestinian handcrafts, living examples of ethnic art, and food are deeply rooted in the cultural identity and history of the people and land. They have become a symbols of the people and their striving for a normal way of life with a national status, free of the Israeli colonial occupation of their land.
- Palestinian handcrafts and food are part of the non-violent cultural resistance which benefits the economy and complements the BDS movement.
- Making beautiful handcrafts also gives people dignity and helps them psychologically to survive while living under conditions where their most basic human rights are denied.
- Hadeel (UK) is a company owned by the charity, Palcrafts (UK) – Scottish Charity number 033983.
- ‘Hadeel’ is Arabic for the cooing of a dove.
See the weeWONDERBOX 2018-19 listings page for more information about these.
Time: 1.30 – 4.00pm
Venue: 21 Carlton Court, Glasgow, Scotland G5 9JP, Scotland.
Access to the event space is via one step. Inside there is a low-stepped ramp. We are happy to provide assistance.
To receive updates of weeWONDERBOX events, sign up to the WGRG and weeWONDERBOX eNews here.
weeWONDERBOX is a programme of events organised by the Iona Community’s Programme Worker and the Wild Goose Resource Group.
0141 429 7281